“Fucked in the Arse”

University caretaker Arana Kenny, 21, was discharged without conviction in Wellington District Court earlier this month after entering a guilty plea in March to the theft of a PhD student’s cell phone last year.

As previously reported in Salient, Kenny’s theft amounts to a breach of the Staff Code of Conduct which he is subject to as an employee of the University. Kenny continues to be employed by the University, but is on a “final warning”, his lawyer Letizia Ord told the court.

District Court judge Peter Hobbs ordered Kenny to pay $300 to charity, a result met with outrage from the victim, Chris Cherry.

“Arana Kenny has to pay $300 to charity. But fuck his victim,” wrote Cherry on his blog.

“What the fuck has a random charity got to do with this?”

University security is carried out by Campus Care, such as Kenny, who work during the day. This security service is supplemented by an external provider overnight and as needed, a University spokesperson told Salient.

“The Staff conduct policy is a University-wide policy which applies to independent contractors and any other person providing services to the University,” the spokesperson said.

When asked, University management told Salient that they are not worried about setting a precedent for the continued employment of employees who have plead guilty to criminal charges on University property, against University students.

“The University will continue to view each case on an individual basis,” a spokesperson said.

Cherry also took to his blog to comment on the court order and on the “stealing toerag” who found the phone in a bathroom and continued to use it for a period of months.

“Result? Victim gets fucked in the arse. […] Thieving motherfucker called Arana Kenny walks away scot-free,” wrote Cherry, who pulled out of his PhD program following the theft.

Cherry’s blog consists solely of rhetoric against Kenny and University management. He has written over 15,000 words on the saga since June 2012—approximately 15 per cent of a Doctoral thesis.

1. Chris says:

Solely of rhetoric? Yeah, okay. You want to be careful what you’re saying – most of it’s the emails trying to sort out the mess Vic caused, you daft prick. And most of it was written post-withdrawal.

You have no clue what work I’ve done. Don’t insinuate that I’ve wasted my time at Vic on my doctorate when you have no fucking clue what any of it involved.

Prick. Good luck for the massive dry hump that will be your future post-university.