Judge, Jodie, and Asher-Cutioner

15 years straight for victoria ‘sports’ team

Princess Diana was still alive the last time Victoria DebSoc lost the New Zealand University Impromptu Debating Championships (easters), with their 15th-successive victory coming in Dunedin last week. Vic 1, comprising Asher Emanuel and Jodie O’Neill, beat Auckland 1 in the final, negating the motion, “This House regrets that monogamy is the expected norm in our society”.

Both O’Neill and Emanuel also made the New Zealand University Debating team, with O’Neill named Best Speaker of the tournament and Emanuel Captain of the team.

In winning the last three NZU Impromptu Championships, Emanuel has taken 27 judges out of 30 in the break rounds. He has been to seven NZ University debating tournaments, and has won five of those.

Vic 1 did not drop a single judge across ten debates. They were the first team since 2005 to go unbeaten at the tournament. To get to the final, Vic 1 had had to defeat their own—Vic 3, consisting of Duncan McLachlan and Nick Cross—in the semifinal, with Vic 1 negating the motion “This House believes that the state should refuse to tolerate sexist indigenous cultural practices”.

Vic 3 was ranked fourth out of 22 teams overall, and both McLachlan and Cross also received Highly Commended awards. Victoria also did very well on the adjudicator front, with five Victoria judges selected to adjudicate the Grand Final. two of them were unable to judge the final due to conflicts of interest (namely current and prior coital relations with speakers debating in the final).

Udayan Mukherjee, a Vic alumnus, won the Centennial Cup for best adjudicator of the tournament, with perfect feedback. If Vic wins the next three easters tournaments, they will have won easters for the entirety of any first-year debater’s lives.