April 8, 2013 | by  | in Opinion |

Nigella Lawstudent – Cheese Rolls

Being back in the dirty South for Easter has meant two things: i) a renewed distaste for ‘scarfies’ and ii) cheese rolls. Food is a religion in my family, and a Sunday lunch of cheese rolls is our weekly form of worship. To me, they epitomize rural new zealand—a mainland specialty that the sophisticated capital desperately lacks. Even better, they’re cheap, quick, and perfect hangover food—cheese and bread! You can alter the mixture to suit your taste; some people include ‘kiwi dip’—reduced cream and onion soup mix combined together with lemon juice, if you want to add yet more dairy into the fray.

This recipe will make heaps of rolls, but that’s a good thing (and if it’s not, you don’t deserve to enjoy the heavenly combination of crunchy bread and oozy cheese anyway). Some recipes call for the crusts to be chopped off, but this is optional. I don’t do it, but I can see the pragmatic justification—they will roll easier and nearly everyone pulls the cooked crusts off while eating these delightful beasts (although you
can cake more butter onto the toasted crusts and eat them as their own special treat if you do this).

cheese rolls

Aka Southland Sushi aka the real ‘Southern Gold’

1 loaf of white bread (traditional, but if you’re particularly health conscious
a) don’t eat cheese rolls and b) multi-grain will suffice at a push)
2 cups grated Colby/edam/tasty cheese
4 tablespoons cream cheese (can replace with kiwi dip)
2 tablespoons margarine, or softened marge (to soften the mixture)
2 teaspoons cumin seeds (optional, and not traditional)
1 onion, finely chopped (could be replaced by chives, or onion soup mix)
Salt and pepper, to taste

Mix everything except the bread together in a large bowl.

Spread each slice of the bread with margarine (this will make the process of sticking of the roll together easier). Take a tablespoonful or two of mixture, spread it along the middle of the bread, and then roll it up. repeat.

Spread margarine on the tops and bake in the oven at 180oC for 15 minutes until golden, or use a sandwich press. Just before they’re ready, add some butter to the tops of the rolls. mama Jude’s two pieces of advice: don’t undercook the rolls, and there can never be too much butter.