April 8, 2013 | by  | in Opinion |

Secret Diary of Officious First-Year

2. Authority

I think the hardest thing about university is that people don’t tend to respect my authority. I was a prefect at school (that’s because I’m an
exemplary student) and so I’m unfamiliar with people not realising that I’m quite an important person. It’s a shame they don’t have prefects at university—a lot of people in my hall are really naughty sometimes and it would do them good to have a few people keeping things under control.

I guess the closest you get to being a prefect at university is being a class representative. People like me call them “class reps” for short,
because we know what’s going on. I ran to be class rep for all of my subjects, with mixed success. For Law, about ten other people ran, which is a bit silly really because they should have realised I was going to blow them out of the water. I was so annoyed that I intentionally lost, because it’s not cool if you try too hard. I’m the class rep for all my other classes, which is great because it’s a really neat way to get
involved in student politics at a grassroots level.

As if it isn’t already clear from my authoritative body language, I wear my Vic uni lanyard everywhere to let everyone else know I’m important. It’s also super-handy for keeping my keys and student ID on. It’s a shame that lots of other first-years seem to be doing it—maybe they don’t realise that I started the trend and they should probably have been in on it before it was cool.

I think I might run for VUWSA this year too. I know I’m young, but in my experience, younger people always make the biggest difference. I’m sure VUWSA would love to have someone like me on board, to stand up for students from all walks of life. It’s all part of the smart, green university plan. I don’t know what I’ll run for: I’d be great at all of the positions!

Thanks to everyone who contacted me expressing their sadness that I was homesick last week. It’s great to be part of the Vic uni whanau. I’m still a bit sick though so make sure you send me food: c/- Weir House.

Admire me on twitter – @GMo4lyf.

1