Smoking: Not Our VUW-ture

It’s lights out for smokers at Victoria from this week, as the University joins the ranks of Auckland, Canterbury and AUT in banning smoking on all campuses—no butts about it.

This means that no students, staff or visitors are able to smoke at any campus, halls of residence, or outdoor areas.

Staff and students were asked whether they were in favour of a smoke-free campus during a consultation period last year. The results
showed 72 per cent of the more than 2400 respondents were in favour of the University becoming smoke-free, as previously reported in Salient.

Those needing a nicotine fix are able to indulge at public areas of Kelburn Pde, Cobblestone Park (outside Te Aro Campus), and Bunny and Featherston Streets in Pipitea.

Smokers are still able to smoke on public land, which is not covered by the University’s ban.

Those found smoking within the ban area will be asked by Campus Care to move off campus, and provided with advice on support available for quitting smoking.

A pack-a-day smoker and third-year student spoken to by Salient believes the changes are useless.

“At the end of the day, if I want to smoke, I will simply head to the street and smoke. This will only lead to congregations of smokers visible to the public,” he said.

Another student is concerned with how the ban is going to be enforced.

“I’m not going to tell somebody to stop smoking. As a non-smoker, I feel money will be wasted stopping something that never bothered me.”

Campus Services Associate Director Rainsforth Dix told Salient that the University anticipates that the cost of promoting and advertising Victoria’s smoke-free status will be around $3500.