April 15, 2013 | by  | in Opinion |

Weekly Rant – Christ Almighty

Jesus Christ! That’s what offends me. Not as a swear word: that’s so commonplace today. But Jesus the person, who dares to claim absolute truth in a relativistic world. Today’s philosophy is to believe whatever you want, however offensive it may be to others, as long as you let others believe what they want. In fact, pretty much the most offensive thing you can do to someone is to disbelieve or disallow their sacred opinion.

In this vein, one of the most offensive men ever to live was Jesus Christ. He said “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” This is a statement that there is truth, and there is falsehood. None of this “We can both be right in our
opinions”, however un-PC that is. He goes one step further, claiming himself to be that truth. To those who contest that all religions lead to God, Jesus says: “No, just me”. Who does he think he is? God?

This claim on being the sole path to God infuriated the religious leaders of his day, especially as he told them not pleasing to God. And it still offends today, in our independent-minded society. How can anyone tell me what to do? I follow the rules, am nice to people, and haven’t done anything majorly harmful to others. Surely I’m good enough for God?

The offensiveness of Jesus’ message is that, apart from him, we are dead. Our best intentions, our greatest accomplishments, our finest self-justification; they are still worthless. But the grace of Jesus’ message is that with him, trusting him rather than our own goodness, we are alive.

This is not a call to be judgmental of, or disrespectful to, anyone with a different view. Jesus said “Don’t judge others, so that you yourself are not judged.” Jesus’ harshest words were reserved for the elite who rejoiced in their own deeds. But those who seek truth and who honestly question, he welcomes where they are at.

The crux of the matter is that either Jesus is telling the truth, about himself and about life, or he is lying. And his actions should back up which it is. You can’t claim he’s a good teacher if what he’s teaching isn’t true. I don’t think he leaves us a pick ‘n’ mix option of choosing only the nice inoffensive bits. In fact, that’s probably pretty offensive to him.

1