Clubs and Activities Officer

Salutations,

For those readers who are familiar with Salient, yes—it’s that time of the year again. This is supposed to be the annual column where the VUWSA Clubs Officer harps on about why you cool cats should join a club on campus (for those of you expecting a piece about the Budget, please look elsewhere in this fine publication–the entire issue is dedicated to it).

One day outside the library, I was having a rather spirited conversation with a friend. The topic being discussed at hand was fairly intellectual – i.e. how our weekends went. Like most straight males his age, he very quickly changed the subject and proceeded to tell me about this “hot chick” he met at a stall on Clubs Day. As fate would have it, at that very moment that same girl walked over and greeted us. As my friend rudely gawked at her with eyes the size of potato crisps, I decided to make things less awkward by politely asking her about the club she was so diligently promoting earlier on.

A name–AIESEC Victoria–was mentioned. Curiously, she was never quite able to fully explain what it was or what it did exactly. Mentions of “student leadership” and “development” were made and I was intrigued.

And so, I attended their first meeting. And thus began a journey where I learned a great deal more about love, life and friendship than any course of study at university could ever offer me (and yes, I did eventually find out that this group’s purpose was to send people away on volunteer projects and professional internships).

The year or so that I was a part of that group was one of the most challenging, eventful and lively periods of my life. The people I met there were some of the most interesting and passionate people I’ve ever come across–many of whom I still consider to be some of my closest and dearest friends. And I participated in things that were quite unlike anything I had ever done before. This little club on campus gave me a lot.

Obviously, there are other ways to meet friends and gain life experience at the same time. However, the numerous clubs on campus make it so very easy for students to get out of the lecture theatre and do just a little bit more with their lives.

1