International Students Have Nice Figures

International students are worth more now than ever, with recent figures showing each student is worth thousands to the university they attend.

An international student can be a lucrative source of revenue for a university, with international students worth between $6000 and $12,000 each, according to recent figures from Education New Zealand.

Victoria currently has low numbers of international students, with poor enrolments making the University vulnerable to financial risks associated with having fewer full-fee-paying students.

As previously reported in Salient, Victoria has not met its enrolment targets for international students yet for this year. In the period up to 28 February, Victoria had only reached 76.4 per cent of its international student targets, placing the University at financial risk.

When setting fees in September last year, the University Council said international students were worth far more compared to domestic students. Victoria University received $23 million more from international students last year than it did from the same number of domestic students.

The high cost of tuition for international students is the product of a number of factors, including cultural barriers and less Government support. The costs of teaching international students were greater than domestic students, as differing language abilities and cultural backgrounds have to be accounted for.

Victoria had 814 international students attending last year, with numbers unconfirmed this year. Salient spoke to an international student from Vietnam, who found the price of tertiary education in New Zealand quite high.

“We already pay a lot and I don’t think it’s fair. A lot of us come from a poor country,” he said.

“It is hard and expensive to live here already as an international student.”

Over 23,000 Chinese students attended university in New Zealand in 2011, making China the largest source of international students in New Zealand.

1. Am I my skin?
  2. The Trauma of the Non-Voter
  3. Marshall Islands deliberate whether to ban nuclear weapons
  4. Vanity Fair — W. M. Thackeray
  5. Her Legacy
  6. GIG GUIDE
  7. The Fury of [our] own Momentum: Twin Peaks, Protest, and the Bomb
  10. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
brigid

I’m Not Sure How I Feel: Disillusionment With Elections

: - SPONSORED - This post-election sentiment was written prior to the election, due to both the limitations of print and the pervasiveness of this disillusionment beyond the election’s outcome. If there was a revolution over the weekend, some of these thoughts can be disregarded.