Just What We Wanted

Students wanting a job they don’t want to be paid for are in luck, with Student Job Search (SJS) trialling an unpaid section from June. The employment service will be enabling registered charities and volunteer agencies that support charities to list unpaid jobs through the SJS website. The site already offers volunteering jobs to members. “Employers are telling us that work experience is emerging as the determining factor for postgraduate employment success,” reads a statement on the SJS website.

A recent StudyLink poll revealed 80 per cent of students are interested in the idea of being able to easily search for unpaid or volunteer work. VUWSA President Rory McCourt said that VUWSA had been notified about this new plan for unpaid work, referring to the unpaid-work plan as being “community-focussed, not Vic-focussed”.

“We will have to talk about the impact that [the unpaid service] will have at Vic,” said McCourt.

Some students spoken to by Salient are looking forward to gaining experience from the service. Emily Reeves, a current Victoria student who has recently come back from volunteering in Kenya, says she thinks that the new Student Job Search will make it a lot easier for people who have always wanted to volunteer to be able to find a way to do so.

“I definitely think it’ll make it easier in order to find … work around New Zealand”. Two-thirds of New Zealanders aged 15-24 undertake unpaid work each year, slightly higher than the national average of 64.6 per cent.

1. Am I my skin?
  2. The Trauma of the Non-Voter
  3. Marshall Islands deliberate whether to ban nuclear weapons
  4. Vanity Fair — W. M. Thackeray
  5. Her Legacy
  6. GIG GUIDE
  7. The Fury of [our] own Momentum: Twin Peaks, Protest, and the Bomb
  10. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
brigid

I’m Not Sure How I Feel: Disillusionment With Elections

: - SPONSORED - This post-election sentiment was written prior to the election, due to both the limitations of print and the pervasiveness of this disillusionment beyond the election’s outcome. If there was a revolution over the weekend, some of these thoughts can be disregarded.