Nigella Lawstudent – Pizza Flying Saucers

This is a lazy Sunday meal. I go to the market in the morning, buy a big bag of tomatoes, and then sit in the kitchen keeping warm while they roast for hours—it’s a good excuse to leave the oven on to warm your bones without feeling guilty or needing to justify it to your flatmates. You can decorate the pizzas as you desire: throw a space-themed dinner party and have these as flying saucers or moons or planets. Use the tomato sauce whenever you would normally use canned tomatoes.

Tomato sauce:

1-2 kg of tomatoes
2 garlic bulbs, unpeeled
Salt and pepper
Herbs—such as oregano, rosemary, thyme
or basil
2 tablespoons olive oil

Put the tomatoes in a large oven tray with sides, as the tomatoes will release a lot of juice. Sprinkle over the seasonings and drizzle the olive oil over them.

Put the garlic cloves on a separate tray—you don’t want to get the peel in with the juice. Put the oven on to about 100°C and leave them for 4 hours, but the longer the better. Check them every hour.

When cooked, there should be lots of tomato juice in the bottom of the tray and the tomatoes should smell rich and decadent. The skin should be falling off the flesh.

Tip the tray contents into a blender. Peel the garlic and put the cloves into the blender too. Add more salt and pepper to taste.

While the tomatoes cook, make the pizza dough (4 pizzas):

1 & 1/2 cups lukewarm water
3 teaspoons active dried yeast
3 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
4 cups flour + more for kneading
3 tablespoons oil

Put the water in a big ceramic bowl. Sprinkle the yeast and sugar over the top. Leave for 5-10 minutes or until frothy. Add the flour, cup by cup, and stir in with a wooden spoon. Add the salt and oil. Mix until combined.

Tip the dough onto a floured surface. Knead for 10 minutes or until the dough is elastic and smooth. Leave to rise in a warm place for an hour. Give the dough another quick knead and roll out into pizza bases.

Add the tomato sauce and then your favourite toppings. I put thin slices of roasted pumpkin, fried onions and kamo kamo, marinated artichokes, and cheese on mine.