Sandy Rankine Replacement Not Ta-bby

Students hoping for a new campus cat have been left feline blue this week, with the University dismissing the paws-ibility of hisstory repeating.

Precedent exists for a University cat—the Rankine Brown Central Library adopted two cats in 2003.

Sandy Rankine lived in the Library from 2003 until his tragic passing in 2010, as a result of pancreatitis and diabetes. In 2009, a concert was held at Mount Street Bar to raise funds for Sandy’s vet treatment. Sandy was seen off in an emotional service held at the Library in July 2010.

A second Library cat, Tessa Brown, also lived at Rankine Brown from 2003 but preferred to reside in workrooms, possibly cataloguing. Tessa passed away in 2008, after suffering from hyperthyroidism and urinary tract disease.

When Salient contacted University management for comment on the cat-us quo, a University spokeswoman stated a disappointing purr-sition.

“Sandy was part of the University community and was loved by many staff and students. However, it is not the role of the University to
adopt a cat.”

Fur-thermore, the University is not looking at contracting anyone to fill this role. Since the introduction of Voluntary Student Membership, many student services are contracted out to VUWSA. However, University management is not pussyfooting about the possibility of such a contract being extended to VUWSA and no such claws exists in a current contract.

“Contracting VUWSA to provide such a service is not under consideration,” said a University spokeswoman, who Salient hopes was lion.

The ‘VUWSA Should Have a Cat’ Facebook page had, at the time of publication, 109 likes. Where the campaign will go meow is uncertain, but there’s more than one way to skin—or adopt—a cat.

1. Second test
  2. test test
  3. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  4. Beneath Skin and Bone
  5. No Common Ground
  6. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  7. Good Girls
  8. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  9. Winter Warmers: About Time
  10. Sex at Dawn