Wellbeing and Sustainability Officer

It’s Environment Week. Every week is Environment Week really, seeing as our ‘environment’ is constantly around us. But this week we get to celebrate the amazing things it does in its all-encompassing ways. As your Wellbeing and Sustainability Officer, I’ve had the pleasure of helping to pull together a range of events to engage us mortal beings with that thing we can’t escape.

First up on Monday, you have the chance to learn how we can stop diluting our clean air with nasty global-warming-inducing gases. ‘Your future is electric’ is a presentation about how New Zealand can embrace moving charges we like to call ‘electricity’ to power our transport systems. VUWSA, along with Generation Zero, is hosting a talk by Jace Hobbs who charges us with the challenge for how to make this 100 percent possible. You can try out electric bikes in the quad during the afternoon before coming to the talk in the Memorial Theatre at 5.30.

For many of us, university life consists of tenderising our fingers on our keyboards, as we theorise how to make the world a better place. On Tuesday, you have a chance to get your hands dirty as you help restore a key part of the city. Come down to the Kumutoto restoration site by the Squash Courts from 11 am; the Society for Conservation Biology will be there to show us what needs to be done. There will also be a workshop on creating community gardens at 1 pm in SU 217.

Want to get onboard public transport with fairer fares? Well, on Wednesday at 1 pm you have the chance to help make that happen. We’re hosting the first ever public forum to be held in the new Hub. This is your chance to let decision makers know how Wellington can be better for you as a student. Come along and share your views on how fares should be fairer. To help celebrate the launch of the campaign, we’re putting on a free lunch.

That thin layer of gas that we like to call our atmosphere is pretty important. It’s kinda key to our survival. But us pesky human beings have been changing the way our climate behaves. On Thursday at 1 pm in SU 217 350 Aotearoa, along with other intelligent people, will be here to let you know about the most important number in the world and how our climate is currently doing. We’ll also discuss what can be done to make our university carbon neutral.

By Friday, if you’re anything like me, you normally start to go a bit bananas. Well this week you can express your enthusiasm for the weekend by being part of a banana-eating competition in the Student Union Atrium at 1 pm. These aren’t any old bananas; they’re certified Fair Trade and full of All Good global justice. This is also your chance to register your support for the VicIDS campaign to Fair-Trade our Vic.

So I’m looking forward to an engaging week for our environment and hope to see you at some events too. Check out VUWSA’s Facebook page for more details and updates.

Keep being sustainable, it’s sexy. Rick.

1. Am I my skin?
  2. The Trauma of the Non-Voter
  3. Marshall Islands deliberate whether to ban nuclear weapons
  4. Vanity Fair — W. M. Thackeray
  5. Her Legacy
  6. GIG GUIDE
  7. The Fury of [our] own Momentum: Twin Peaks, Protest, and the Bomb
  10. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
brigid

I’m Not Sure How I Feel: Disillusionment With Elections

: - SPONSORED - This post-election sentiment was written prior to the election, due to both the limitations of print and the pervasiveness of this disillusionment beyond the election’s outcome. If there was a revolution over the weekend, some of these thoughts can be disregarded.