June 4, 2013 | by  | in Opinion |

Secret Diary of Officious First-Year

I’m a firm believer that you don’t choose a profession. A profession should choose you. And lately, I feel like my calling has changed. University was always going to be a journey of self-discovery for me, and in the past few weeks my waka has changed bearing.

It’s not that I don’t like Law. I just don’t think it’s for me. I mean, I like Grant Morris, I like the Socratic method, I like Boston Legal, but I somehow get the impression that Law’s not all about that. In actual fact, lawyers are capitalist vultures. Reading ahead in my Law Alive book, I’ve discovered that there’s this thing called Marxist legal theory, led by this cool cat called Karl. And when it came to the legal system, he hit the nail on the head. See, I don’t want to be part of a system which oppresses the lower class. I just want to express myself.

That’s where Theatre comes in. All my life, I’ve known I was made for the stage. In my younger and more vulnerable years (so well-read, amiright?!) I thought my theatrical style would be suited to gracing the courtroom. In fact, the stage was to be my calling. I’m not dropping out, I’m just re-evaluating my career path – changing to a quadruple major in Theatre, Film, Politics and Philosophy.

Sometimes I wonder whether I’m a square peg in a round hole, or a round one in a square. We’re forced to conform, and if we don’t fit the mould, we have to move on. Law didn’t allow me to flaunt my creative talent, but my BA really spins my wheels. I think I might move to Waikato actually. All the best lecturers get their PhDs there.

Law just isn’t for me. It’s really nothing to do with the fact that I got shitty grades in the test, or that I like to go out to Hope Brothers on a Wednesday night, or that I’m even a little bit envious of my BA friends who spend their weekday mornings in bed. Nothing like that all – sometimes you have to make this sort of call for the greater good.

It’s with regret that I sign off for the last time, your ever-loving, no-longer-officious first-year. Bye.

Farewell me on Twitter – @GMo4Lyf