June 3, 2013 | by  | in News |

Stay Classy, World

Remember SARS? What about bird flu? Norovirus? Well, the Director-General of the United Nations’ World Health Organization has declared a new virus the next “threat to the entire world”, so watch out or something, I guess.

Russia is providing arms to Syria in the hopes that they will deter military organisation. Salient wonders if sleeves will also be provided.

British extreme-right-wingers protested at a mosque last week, only to be met with offers of tea, biscuits, and a game of football. After 30 or 40 minutes of talking, the protesters were seen to go inside the mosque with the worshippers, which is just pretty great, really.

In sporting news, New Zealand lost to England by 247 runs in the second Test, handing a 2-0 series victory to the Brits. Unfortunately for the Black Caps, a ‘good try’ is only awarded points in rugby.

A New Zealand city was this week arbitrarily rated fourth-best in the world for something, by a magazine or other organisational body with similar cultural standing. “It’s very exciting, but we always knew we were fourth-best,” said the city’s mayor.