June 3, 2013 | by  | in News |

VUW Finally Shares Views

Victoria’s Dumbledore, Chancellor Ian McKinnon, has said he is “very disappointed” to have only one of the two student seats filled on the University Council, following the failure of the Forum to reach quorum and elect a Chair this year.

As reported last week, management decided to give up on the Forum as it became clear VUWSA wouldn’t rejoin and no quorum would be met.

In a statement to Salient, McKinnon said he was “most concerned how this situation [had] arisen.”

“The Student Forum was established as a body that through its structure would be representative of all students—this was a genuine attempt by senior management, endorsed by Council, to adhere to the legal requirements under the Act while ensuring student representation,” he said.

“The students on the Council in 2012 did express some reservations but recognised the reasons for its establishment.”

McKinnon believes that an agreement was made between the students on the Council in 2012, then VUWSA President Bridie Hood and Student Representative Max Hardy, and the Council, that in recognition of those reservations, “the Student Forum would continue in 2013 but at the same time [as a result of the Council’s request to management] there would be a full review of the effectiveness of the [Forum], with all involved parties represented in the review.”

“As per that agreement, that review is taking place, but the Student Forum has been unable to continue for reasons that are both surprising and regrettable, i.e. the agreement has been breached.”

NZUSA last week released the details of an investigation by public-law firm Chen Palmer querying the legality of Victoria University’s changes to student representation following VSM. Salient will have more detail on the results of the investigation when we return next semester, if you can wait that long…

1. The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

The shade of Pasifika Brown is Bold and Brilliant. So is being a Woman and Fa’afafine

: Proud. Because I am a woman. I am a fa’afafine. I am unapologetic for that. Brown. Because my skin carries the stories of thousands of brown women who came before me. Pasifika. Because I know this is my culture. This is tradition. I know that there has been, and will always be,