Acting Vice-President (Welfare)

Welcome back! Somehow we’ve made it through half the year and VUWSA has put together a mid-winter festival for RE-OWEEK to celebrate. We’ll be running a barbecue all week, so come and grab a sausage, or enter to win tickets to Shapeshifter or other freebies. To soften the transition back into another tri of study, we’re finishing off the week with a house party down at Hope Bros on Friday night where a $10 ticket (available from the Kelburn reception or the barbecues) will get you a fun night of DJs, food, games, and a free drink.

While lectures, labs, assignments, and tests are terrifically fun, there’s more to uni life than class. Clubs are a great way to meet new people, get more involved in the wider university community, and provide opportunities to gain experience that may be useful in the fabled ‘real world.’ Right now is the perfect time to sign up to the plethora of clubs and groups we have at Vic. Some of my personal favourites are the Science Society (liquid-nitrogen ice-cream is pretty cool), the Sailing Club (why live in a windy city if you don’t have fun with it?), the Tramping Club (we life in a beautiful country and it’d be a shame not to explore it), Generation Zero (addressing climate change is crucial), and the Film Club (popcorn and films for free – what else could you want?).

Another way to make the most of the trimester is to put yourself forward to be a Class Rep, which I’ve found to be a great way to get more out of your courses. It allows you to get to know your classmates and the lecturer, helping make the course better for everyone. VUWSA’s Education Team not only provides fantastic training and support but also keeps you up to date with lots of university-related things, like proposed course changes.

Finally, local-body elections are happening later this year, which gives us a chance to ensure we have councillors who care about students and will address our needs. If you haven’t received a letter with an orange man on it, then it means you’re either not enrolled or forgot to change your address. Either way it’s now really easy to enrol or update your details online at elections.org.nz.

Good luck for the trimester,
Rick Zwaan.

P.S. If you were wondering where Simon Tapp’s gone, he found Greener pastures over the break and the Executive have appointed me to be Acting Vice-President (Welfare) in his stead.

1