Cleaner Discharged, But Not Charged

The investigation into the cleaner accused of spying on students showering at the Cumberland Hall of Residence has concluded, with the man in question removed from service at Victoria.

Following the allegations, the cleaner’s swipe cards had been deactivated and he had been instructed not to return to University property. OCS, the University cleaning contractor, has since advised the University that a full investigation has been conducted and appropriate action taken.

No criminal charges have been placed against the man.

“The individual concerned will not be returning to work at any of Victoria University’s Halls of Residence or campuses,” said Associate Director of Student Accommodation Nick Merrett.

“It has been reinforced to students in Halls of Residence that they should report any concerns or incidents to staff as soon as possible.”

Security at Cumberland has increased since the incidents, with the Hall now only accessible to residents and contractors with a swipe card. However, these measures would not have stopped the man had they been in place at the time of the offending, as he had a swipe card and full access to the hall. Previously, swipe cards were not needed to enter via the front doors.

Two OCS employees were suspended earlier this year following an incident where one cleaner strangled another in a University bathroom.

1. Newsthub: No need to kill cats Mittens, owners should be responsible – Wellington Mayor Justin Lester
  2. Where Does Your Student Services Levy Go?
  4. Simran Rughani Resigns from VUWSA
  5. Score Steamed Hams with Seymour for Society Soirée
  6. VUWSA Launches Student Mental Health Campaign
  7. Tragicomic Webseries
  8. Issue 18, Vol 81: Under the Surface