Judgements from the Fourth Estate

Winners:

Misogyny: Debate around Labour’s ‘man-ban’ policy, that would see areas decide to only have women selected for certain seats as part of a quota, generally ignored any issues of gender inequality in New Zealand. Following the critical response the leaked proposal received from the male-dominated sphere of bloggers and media personalities, Labour leader David Shearer announced he didn’t support the policy. It’s not yet clear whether the presence of 14-per-cent of his spine was to draw attention to the current 14-per-cent pay gap between men and women in New Zealand.

Racism: A political movement borne out of social media hit the headlines last week, placing racism firmly in mainstream media’s spotlight. Apparently 56,037 likes on Facebook is what it takes to earn prime-time coverage in every media outlet in the land these days. While the rest of us hope that this will all go away as quickly as it started, Stuff.co.nz’s commenters are celebrating finally finding themselves in the stories, rather than underneath them.

Losers:

The Fourth Estate: It all started with a tweet. “Good source. Coup on in Labour. Letter of no confidence being circulated. It’s over for Shearer. Watch for his resignation,” tweeted political commentator Duncan Garner last Tuesday night. By dawn, it was clear; regardless of whether or not there was a letter, David Shearer had survived the night, leadership intact.

Labour MPs and hacks alike took to Twitter, painting the feeds red with their vitriol against Garner, and while they were at it, the rest of the Fourth Estate, too.

“Today’s media approach: make up rumours, get them denied, report the denials. Sad day for journalistic standards. Bad for democracy,” tweeted Labour MP Chris Hipkins. Despite the fact that Garner—renowned for his somewhat show-pony approach to political coverage—was the only member of the fourth estate foolish enough to still rely on snail mail, when one journo goes down—it would seem—they all do.

Molly McCarthy and Stella Blake-Kelly are Salient Co-Editors for 2013, AKA Salient Babes.

1. Newsthub: No need to kill cats Mittens, owners should be responsible – Wellington Mayor Justin Lester
  2. Where Does Your Student Services Levy Go?
  4. Simran Rughani Resigns from VUWSA
  5. Score Steamed Hams with Seymour for Society Soirée
  6. VUWSA Launches Student Mental Health Campaign
  7. Tragicomic Webseries
  8. Issue 18, Vol 81: Under the Surface