Pride and Prejudice

The gay onslaught was heralded not just by earthquakes, but also by a fabulous, loud, and proud Pride Week held at Victoria last week.

Pride Week was run by VUWSA and UniQ, Victoria’s representative group for queer students. It is an annual fixture on the events calendar and it used to celebrate and educate students on queer culture.

Events included a Queer Sex Education session, a Diversity Forum, a Queer Sexual Abuse Prevention Workshop, a Queer Quiz, and an Open Mic Night, and closed with a Traffic Light Party on Friday night. Last week’s Salient was also re-themed ‘Queerlient’, to coincide with Pride Week.

A focus was placed on reflecting the diversity of the queer community. At the Diversity Forum last Tuesday, gay, bi and lesbian participants joined asexual, trans*, genderqueer and other queer participants to discuss issues across the entire rainbow spectrum.

VUWSA Equity Officer Matt Ellison said Pride Week had been going well, despite Monday’s closures affecting the Queer Sex Education session. Events had been “well-attended”, and had “good atmosphere”.

“Pride Week is important to celebrate progress made by the queer-rights movement, and to raise the profile of queerness, which helps people feel more accepted and able to come out themselves,” said Ellison.

VUWSA President Rory McCourt was also pleased with Pride Week, describing it as a “huge success” and citing the hard work of Ellison and UniQ.

“I think Pride Week is, and has been, one of our most popular event weeks.

“This year is no different.” Students interested in becoming involved with UniQ can find more information at their website, uniqvictoria.co.nz, or their Facebook page, facebook.com/uniq.victoria.9.

1. Access Denied – Invisible City
  2. Tapu and Noa
  3. It’s not you, it’s Hookup Culture
  5. Touching on Taboo
  6. WOMAD
  7. National Urges Govt to be More Ambitious with Child Poverty Legislation
  8. Doin’ it for the Retweets: NZ Police’s Rainbow Car
  10. Sexual Violence Court Pilot