VUWSA Can’t Handle the Jandal

VUWSA has now decided it will hold a by-election for the vacant Vice-President (Welfare) (VP-W) position, as new funding was found which would cover the estimated $3000 price tag.

Following an Executive meeting last Monday, Education Officer Gemma Swan has decided she will also resign, citing workload as the reason. Former VP-W Simon Tapp resigned during the holidays to take up a parliamentary position with the Green Party.

Outgoing VUWSA Executive members have not been the only things changing positions, as the Executive decided to hold a by-election to replace Tapp three weeks after deciding they wouldn’t.

The Executive had initially decided not to hold a by-election after co-opting Wellbeing and Sustainability Officer Rick Zwaan into the position. At a meeting on June 24, a majority of the executive had voted against a by-election on the grounds of cost and timing.

Upon his return, McCourt stated the costs of a by-election would be covered by money received from the Student Forum. In light of the new information, the Exec agreed to hold a by-election with all members in agreement, except for Equity Officer Matthew Ellison (who voted against) and Zwaan (who abstained).

Salient will have more details on the by-elections as they come to light.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties