VUWSA Can’t Handle the Jandal

VUWSA has now decided it will hold a by-election for the vacant Vice-President (Welfare) (VP-W) position, as new funding was found which would cover the estimated $3000 price tag.

Following an Executive meeting last Monday, Education Officer Gemma Swan has decided she will also resign, citing workload as the reason. Former VP-W Simon Tapp resigned during the holidays to take up a parliamentary position with the Green Party.

Outgoing VUWSA Executive members have not been the only things changing positions, as the Executive decided to hold a by-election to replace Tapp three weeks after deciding they wouldn’t.

The Executive had initially decided not to hold a by-election after co-opting Wellbeing and Sustainability Officer Rick Zwaan into the position. At a meeting on June 24, a majority of the executive had voted against a by-election on the grounds of cost and timing.

Upon his return, McCourt stated the costs of a by-election would be covered by money received from the Student Forum. In light of the new information, the Exec agreed to hold a by-election with all members in agreement, except for Equity Officer Matthew Ellison (who voted against) and Zwaan (who abstained).

Salient will have more details on the by-elections as they come to light.

1. Access Denied – Invisible City
  2. Tapu and Noa
  3. It’s not you, it’s Hookup Culture
  5. Touching on Taboo
  6. WOMAD
  7. National Urges Govt to be More Ambitious with Child Poverty Legislation
  8. Doin’ it for the Retweets: NZ Police’s Rainbow Car
  10. Sexual Violence Court Pilot