Weir’s Where the Haka Is

Weir House residents and staff have revitalised a haka that was gifted to the Hall of Residence in 1935, and are preparing for its performance later this year.

The haka, entitled ‘He Ngeri Ngāti-Wia’, was written for and gifted to Weir House by Kingi Te Ahoaho Gilling Tāhiwi in 1935. It remained dormant until its rediscovery in 2010, when an alumni group gifted the Hall with a 1935 Weir House magazine.

In 2011, the haka was adapted by the integration of actions, rhythm and a new verse in order to better reflect Weir House in its modern form.

It was performed during that same year on three occasions, but had not been performed again until its reinstatement this year.

Current Residential Advisors Ben Appleton and Jayden Blake are leading the 2013 haka, which will include female participants for the first time. Weir House residents Allandria Puna and Te Po Marie Hawaikirangi have made welcome adaptations to the haka, by choreographing feminine movements into the performance.

“As a traditional Hall of Residence at Victoria University we are so proud of the special taonga we have in our haka, and will endeavour to ensure this legacy continues”, said Assistant Head of Hall Rayleen Hirini.

Residents and staff look forward to viewing the performance of the haka later this year, at the Weir House Academic Dinner.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties