Win for Women’s Group

A University beauty pageant has been cancelled following pressure from campus groups who claimed the event was misogynist.

The ‘Miss Campus’ beauty pageant had come under strong criticism from the Victoria Women’s Group and VUWSA. The VUWSA Executive unanimously passed a motion against the competition, which read “That VUWSA does not support the Miss Campus competition, because it is not in line with VUWSA’s goals of well-being for all students”.

The event was originally planned for July 18 in The Hunter Lounge, but was moved to Hope Bros after The Hunter Lounge withdrew support after talking to VUWSA. The Hope Bros event, planned for July 20, has since been cancelled.

VUWSA Equity Officer Matthew Ellison was pleased with the event’s cancellation. “In my opinion, the way the event was framed was objectifying and very unfeminist.” Event organiser David Rektorys felt “terrified” at opposing groups “threatening and sabotaging” his competition.

“Miss Campus is not ‘objectifying’ women because they volunteer in our contest—we can’t and would never dream of forcing anyone into anything. “The main idea behind Miss Campus is quite the opposite—to show that girls at university have both beauty and brains. So we are basically fighting on the feminists’ side against myths and bias,” said Rektorys.

“We had prepared a variation for guys called “Mr. Campus”, which was going to even out the event, but will not have the chance to implement it. The reason behind cancelling is the hostility from certain individuals.”

While Rektorys runs the Business and Investment Club, the Miss Campus competition was not run through the club.

1