August 5, 2013 | by  | in Arts Books |

A Storm of Swords Pt I & Pt II

(Spoilers Beware)

I consider myself an avid watcher of Game of Thrones. But it wasn’t until I finished watching season 3 and the horror that was the Red Wedding that I also became an avid reader of it. I wasn’t going to wait nine months for the next season to start, so I got stuck in to the books. The first season was largely identical to the first book, with only very small, unimportant differences, such as the colour of someone’s eyes or the length of their hair. What the book did do, however, was get inside the characters’ heads the way only a book can, and it really enforced the feelings I had for particular characters, such as my hatred for Joffrey. So upon finishing the first book, I expected much of the same from the books that followed. I was to be very mistaken. Though there was much of the second season present, there were also parts of the third and a few parts that I either didn’t recall or were new facts, plots or characters, with the latter of the three becoming more prevalent throughout A Storm of Swords, which is in two parts. Now, about three-and-a-half weeks later, I am halfway through the fourth book, everything is completely new and I keep finding myself awake rather late, unable to put down the books. They are extremely well written, although the details of the colour of the doublet one particular character might be wearing has become a little tedious. As the books have progressed, I have found that the television series has not stayed as true to the story as it had in book one. Some of it I have been able to look over, such as Jojen and Meera Reed becoming Bran’s friends at Winterfell rather than on the road after their escape. Some of it has been baffling, Robb’s wife being a great example. In the series, her name is Talisa of the free city of Volantis; however, this character doesn’t even exist in the books. Robb marries a young girl called Jeyne Westerling and she doesn’t die at the Red Wedding, which makes me wonder where they are taking that storyline. And some of the differences have been necessary, like keeping Barristan the Bold’s identity from the reader until midway through the fourth book. This would have been much harder to conceal for a long period of time on the show. With about 300 pages to go of book four, I am quite excited to see what happens next. In true GoT fashion, more of the main characters have been killed off, and like good books do, secrets have been spilled that have been kept hidden from the television viewers. But I’m not going to spoil everything for you. I will tell you one last thing…

Winter is (still) coming.