In a State of Choc

There are some things that are very polarising. Mac versus PC, Honda versus Ford and John versus Helen float to mind as examples. But the greatest of all public-opinion splitters is, of course, cookie texture. Soft, chewy cookies, that seem to cuddle your tongue in one giant, big, fluffy unicorn hug as you bite in. Or crisp cookies, that are just waiting to scatter approximately 74 million crumbs across several hectares of carpet (although only after you’ve broken a tooth trying to eat them).

From that reasoned and impartial description, it will probably be clear which side of the debate I stand on. To be honest, I don’t really like crunchy foods at all, and prefer, for example, my cornflakes or Weet-Bix totally soggy (I also get very upset by crooked paintings and own at least three grammar handbooks; you can form your own judgments). But even if you are normally a devotee of the Krispie, or those chocolate-chip cookies with the bear on the packet, I’d urge you to put aside your prejudices and try these.

Because, like, yum. Not very eloquent, I know, but sometimes it is hard to talk about things that you have a lot of emotion for. These are the perfect texture: buttery and crumbly on the outside, soft, chewy chocolate in the centre, and sweet and chocolatey. One thing that I’ve learned in life is that there are never enough chocolate chips in cookies. So, join me and put in as many as you can push into the batter. I also like to use chocolate drops rather than small chips, hence the name. They are bigger, and give a more satisfying chocolate experience. These are also ‘drop cookies’ as the mixture is simply rolled into balls and dropped onto the tray, rather than having to refrigerate, roll and slice.

Double Chocolate Drop Cookies

– 100 g butter

– 1 heaped cup brown sugar

– 1 cup white flour

– 1 teaspoon baking powder

– ¼ cup cocoa powder

– at least 1 cup chocolate drops

Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Warm the butter until softened, but not melted. Cream (beat very hard) the butter with the brown sugar, until light and fluffy. Mix the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder, then mix into the butter mixture. Add the chocolate drops. The texture should be very thick and crumbly, but able to be melded together into balls. Grease two baking trays, then take dessertspoon-sized lumps of the dough, squeezing them into balls, and place them on the tray. Push each one down slightly with the back of a fork. Bake for about 15 minutes, then leave to cool. They should still be soft on top when you take them from the oven. These are great cold, but my favourite way to eat them is still warm from cooking.

Makes about 15