Judgments From the Fourth Estate

Winners:

David Shearer:

Riding off the back of the high of rising one per cent in the stakes for preferred leader according to the latest poll, last week Shearer treated himself to a social-media makeover. Uploaded last Wednesday, Shearer’s latest Facebook cover photo is striking in its minimalism—a simple depiction of him holding a ‘freshly-caught’ fish on a boat in a harbour; a Labour logo lurking innocuously in the corner. While the move away from Labour’s staple outraged-text-over-image-of-New-Zealand campaign material is refreshing, it’s not all too clear exactly what message this latest look is trying to convey… But one thing’s for certain—when it comes to David Shearer, he says it best when he says nothing at all.

Losers:

Fonterra:

For a long time now, Fonterra have relished their position as the golden child of New Zealand’s economy. But last week, the milk began to sour.

Within a matter of days, as Fonterra’s public image went from bad to worse, politicians and the public alike began to realise that we’ve been putting all our milk in one udder for too long.

First there was last weekend’s botulism scare; the revelation that up to 38 tonnes of whey powder, used for baby milk and sports drinks, may have been contaminated with a bacteria which could cause paralysis. Then on Wednesday it was revealed that the company had been fined $900,000 by the Chinese government for price-fixing.

China, justifiably peeved at Fonterra by this point, announced a ban on Fonterra products, with Russia following suit, and a number of other countries ordering recalls. The Kiwi dollar hit a low for the month, and critics the world over began to question New Zealand’s 100% Pure claims.

It was the wake-up call we needed: Living under the lactatorship, we have let developments in growing industries such as ICT pass us by, and have largely left our environmental policy to be governed by the whims of Federated Farmers—slowly chipping away at our Middle Earth economy. It’s time to stop sucking on dat teat, New Zealand.