Mo’ Money Less Students

There may be fewer jobs, but those lucky enough to get them are making more money, recent figures show.

Figures provided to VUWSA by Student Job Search (SJS) for the year to date show fewer students have placements, but those students are making more money than they were at the same time last year.

The figures show that as of 30 June, 1978 students had been placed in positions advertised by SJS. This is down from the 2063 students who were employed over the first half of 2012. The number of new enrolments with SJS is also down from 2412 in the first six months of last year to 2195 in the first half of 2013.

Over the first half of 2012, students earned a combined $4,225,353, and that amount increased to $5,502,735 between the months of January and June this year. Meanwhile, average earnings per placement increased from $2063 to $2785.

SJS Sales and Marketing Manager Dean Jervis suggested the appetite of students for ongoing employment could be the reason for a drop in placements yet an increase in earnings.

“SJS has a huge spectrum of roles available on our website from one-hour jobs through to roles that are continually ongoing… students are preferring the ongoing roles and this could explain the similar amount of placements but the growth in earnings,” said Jervis.

Despite Jervis’ belief that both one-off and ongoing roles were of equal value, one third-year student suggested that the prospect of securing the latter was more attractive.

“Students are definitely attracted to the idea of an ongoing income as opposed to one-off work to support their student life,” said the student.

Overall, the student felt that SJS provided a reliable and effective source of income.

“Student Job Search does a choice job in helping individuals like myself fill their pockets, even if temporarily, and it’s the first place all students after cash should go.”

VUWSA President Rory McCourt doesn’t believe the numbers are concerning in and of themselves, that doesn’t mean students aren’t facing a hard time in the employment market.

“While I think the drop in the SJS data is marginal (less than 4 per cent), students are telling us that there’s pressure to work more and more hours to pay the rent, buy groceries and pay for power.

“Student wages remain stagnant, and I think that’s concerning given rent inflation in Wellington. Students should be able to earn enough from one 15 hour-a-week job to pay for the basics, and spend the bulk of their time on their studies,” said McCourt.

Students can find SJS at sjs.co.nz, or contact them on 0800 757 562.

1