Nigella Lawstudent: Tofu or Not Tofu

Burgers with marinated tofu and hummus

Despite the common misconception, tofu is not just food for vegans, or even vegetarians. It’s an excellent source of protein for even the most blood-hungry amongst us. The problem with tofu is that you need to imbue flavour into it; it’s extremely bland if you just cook it without adding flavour. The easiest way to do this is with a marinade. Overnight is ideal.

Marinated tofu:

– Packet of firm tofu

– 3 tablespoons soy sauce

– 2 teaspoons crushed garlic

– 1 teaspoon crushed ginger

– pepper

– 1 tablespoon honey

– 1 small chilli, finely chopped

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Slice the tofu into 1 cm–wide strips. Place the strips into a small dish and pour the marinade over. Leave in the fridge for <1 hour.

Fry the tofu at a medium-high heat. The tofu will go brown and crispy on the outside.

Homemade burger buns:

– 3/4 to 1 cup lukewarm water

– 2 tablespoons oil

– 3 1/2 cups flour

– 1/4 cup sugar

– 1 1/4 teaspoons salt

– 1 tablespoon instant yeast

– One egg yolk

– Sesame or poppy seeds, grated cheese (optional)

Mix the water, yeast and sugar in a large bowl. Leave to froth in a warm place for 5 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon. Turn out onto the bench and knead until the dough is soft and silky; about 10 minutes’ worth. Put it back in the bowl and cover it. Put it in a warm place and leave to rise for an hour or two. Give the dough a quick knead again to deflate it. Divide it into 8–12 pieces. Form these into balls and flatten into discs on a floured oven tray. Leave to rise again for an hour. Brush the beaten egg yolk over the top. Sprinkle with seeds or grated cheese if desired. Bake at 180º for 15–18 minutes or until cooked.

Hummus:

– 1 can chickpeas, drained and washed

– 2 tablespoons tahini, if you have it

– 3 tablespoons olive oil

– ¼–½ cup water

– Salt, pepper, spices to taste

Blend all of the ingredients until paste-like, choosing your own spices to your taste. I like to use 1 tablespoon cumin seeds roasted with whole garlic cloves and coriander seeds then blended, but go crazy! Also, try adding some sundried tomatoes.

I served my burgers with tofu, hummus, cheese and salad leaves tossed with balsamic vinegar and lemon juice; and sides of roast vegetables and Moroccan couscous salad—delicious!