President of VUWSA Women’s Group

Hello, beautiful people. This week is VUWSA Women’s Week, and what a week we have in store for you! An annual event by VUWSA, Women’s Week is about drawing attention to women’s issues and celebrating the achievements of women not only on campus but in the wider community. This year, we have chosen events that address the feminist issues most topical today, surrounding the theme, “Who needs Feminism?”

MONDAY

We kick off the week with our Wellness Seminar. In conjunction with the Recreation Centre, this seminar discusses factors of ‘wellness’, and how these factors affect life at University. To have you feeling particularly well, we also have free giveaways! Later, our annual debate: in light of recent debated changes to the Labour Party, much controversy has surrounded whether there is a need for gender quotas in today’s society. Come along to hear two sides of the very topical feminist debate, “Gender Quotas—harmful or helpful?” in conjunction with the Victoria Debating Society.

TUESDAY

We discuss the realities of sex work in Wellington at our Sex Work Panel discussion. Speakers, including some from the New Zealand Prostitutes’ Collective, will highlight its advantages and disadvantages, how to stay safe doing the work, and answer questions from the audience.

WEDNESDAY

Hump Day brings a relaxing chance for women from all around the world to come together, eat good food, and share experiences of being a woman in the country you originate from at our Women Around the World Potluck. Bring a small contribution of your favourite food from your own country, or your favourite Kiwi dish!

THURSDAY

In the words of Flavia Dzodan: “MY FEMINISM WILL BE INTERSECTIONAL OR IT WILL BE BULLSHIT!” Feminism should be for more than cis straight white women, and should include minorities. Our Intersectionality Discussion on Thursday aims to give those minorities a voice. That evening, at our Māori and Pasifika Discussion Panel, speakers will share the challenges Māori and Pasifika women face when trying to establish ‘success’ in their careers. Speakers include former Black Fern, Silver Fern and current Member of Parliament, Louisa Wall! Come along for free nibbles and a chance to mingle with panellists.

FRIDAY

Because we feminists do know how to have fun, we end the week with our “Love Your Body” campaign around Kelburn Campus. We later join the Wellington Young Feminists’ Collective for some drinks, nibbles and most importantly, a chance to wind down and socialise.

Can I come to Women’s Week?

The Wellness Seminar and Women Around the World Potluck are open to all self-identifying women. The rest of the events are open to all, regardless of gender orientation. Most events will also have free drinks and nibbles, so come along and get involved!

More info at https://www.facebook.com/events/623499044350889/.

1