August 19, 2013 | by  | in Arts Film |

Top Ten Self-Improvement Films

Here is a list of films about the self and improvement and personal journeys. Sometimes succeeding and sometimes not. But who the hell cares? They are here for your entertainment. In no particular order:

1. Amélie (2001, dir. Jean-Pierre Jeunet) – Amélie works on making someone else’s life a little worse (totally deserved what they got) and improving her own life by, well, finding love or something.

2. The Darjeeling Limited (2007, dir. Wes Anderson) – Will probably inspire you to go to India and find yourself.

3. High Fidelity (2000, dir. Stephen Frears) – Soul-searching and music go hand in hand.

4. Bridget Jones’s Diary (2001, dir. Sharon Maguire) – Involves New Year’s resolutions, inappropriate ‘family’ members, and love—in all its glory. Excessively relatable.

5. Harold and Maude (1971, dir. Hal Ashby) – Unlikely friendships and funerals.

6. Broken Flowers (2005, dir. Jim Jarmusch) – More soul-searching.

7. Into the Wild (2007, dir. Sean Penn) – So much soul-searching. As well as some societal commentary and an enjoyable soundtrack.

8. Easy Rider (1969, dir. Dennis Hopper) – The film that sparked a new phase in filmmaking. It’s all about the journey, amiright?

9. 8 ½ (1963, dir. Federico Fellini) – Self-reflective and semi-autobiographical, focussing on the director’s lost interest in his artistic pursuits and a subsequent series of dreamy flashbacks. If nothing else,it looks impeccable.

10. The Wrestler (2008, dir. Darren Aronofsky) – An extraordinarily moving film that proves redemption is possible in the least likely of places and circumstances.

1. Storytime: Angst, Agony, and Adorable Babies in Teen Mom YouTube
  9. Issue 10 – Like and Subscribe
  10. An Overdue Lesson in Anatomy