VUWSA Do the Impossible

The road to recovery from the Student Forum shambles has started off well, with surprisingly high participation from students in the first round of consultation on how student representation at Victoria should be restructured.

An online survey sent to students about Forum and representative positions within the University attracted over 1500 responses. Unsurprisingly, the non-online consultation has not been so successful, with a working group held last Wednesday attracting few students, despite the promise of free pizza.

Fewer than 20 people attended the Student Representation and Consultative Review: Working Group, and of those, fewer than ten were unaffiliated with the various groups—VUWSA, the Postgraduate Students’ Association (PGSA), Ngāi Tauira and Can Do—part of the student working party running the review.

David Crabbe, the Dean of Education and former Associate Vice-Chancellor (Academic), was the only member of University management present at the working group. He said he was concerned about communication of information between the University and students over what had been “a long and complicated path” since Voluntary Student Membership (VSM).

“Clearly, we muddied the distinction between representation and consultation … the issue is representation,” adding that the representation element was more difficult than the consultation element.

Following consultation, the Working Party will take the results into account, with a referendum expected to take place later this year aiming to achieve a mandate on how students want to be represented.

1