Who Run the World?

VUWSA’s annual Women’s Week was anything but weak, with festivities taking place around campus last week.

Organised and run by the VUWSA Women’s Group, Women’s Week had eight events around the theme “Who needs feminism?”, aiming to celebrate women’s achievements as well as drawing attention to topical women’s issues. Some events were aimed at promoting wellbeing; the week began with a Wellness Seminar held on Monday and ended with a ‘Love Your Body’ campaign around Kelburn campus on Friday.

A Sex Work Panel discussion on Tuesday explored the realities of sex work. It included speakers from the New Zealand Prostitutes’ Collective, and answered many questions from the audience. VUWSA Women’s Group President Grace Kahukore-Fitzgibbon was pleased with the event.

“[VUWSA Equity Officer] Matthew Ellison organised a really diverse panel,” she said, noting the panel “covered issues everyone was really curious about.”

Other events aimed at promoting various discourses, with an Intersectionality Discussion inspired by the diversity of the feminist movement.

“Feminism should be for more than cis straight white women, and should include minorities,” said Kahukore-Fitzgibbon.

Ellison said that while there is always room for improvement, this year’s Women’s Week has done well to build on the success of last years’, having a good variety of events and topics and  good attendance.

“Women’s Week is important because it raises awareness of issues affecting women, and of feminism in general, as well as hosting events which promote healthy discussion, involving the wider community in feminist discourse,” said Ellison.

The Women’s Group annual debate was postponed to later in the trimester due to speaker engagements. The topic was set to be “Gender Quotas: helpful or harmful?” in response to recent proposed changes to the Labour Party, and a new date will be announced shortly.

1. My Attention is Broke
  2. WHERE VIRAL DREAMS GO TO DIE
  3. Storytime: Angst, Agony, and Adorable Babies in Teen Mom YouTube