Brawls in the Halls, Crackdown Follows Smackdown

A brawl involving Victoria students in the carpark outside Te Puni Village is under investigation by the University, and the hall has banned all visitors in response.

Salient understands that students from Te Puni Village and Vic House were involved in the incident, which took place on Saturday 14 September, and that a Te Puni resident was bottled. Three police cars were seen at the scene of the fight.

Te Puni Hall Manager Isaac Brosnan has banned residents from having guests to Te Puni until the beginning of October.

“Guest access has been suspended at Te Puni Village as a result of some residents not following the correct and well-understood guidelines for guest visits,” Director of Campus Services Jenny Bentley told Salient.

Director for Student Academic Services Pam Thorburn said that the University was aware of the incident, and was looking into it.

“The University is gathering information about what happened. There will be no decision on any actions to be taken until we have a clearer picture.”

Rumours around the nature of the altercation continue, with some students attributing the incident to an inter-hall rugby game which had taken place earlier in the day. Salient is yet to understand why the inter-hall rivalry is a thing, but will have more information as it comes to light.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties