Editorial – Salient and the City

As the sun rises over Wellington city and the Salient office at the tail-end of another production night, and another editorial left too late, we can see the various bastions of Wellington dotted around the harbour: Oriental Bay; Te Papa; the docks; Lambton Quay’s high-rises; and the highway stretching north. If you grew up here, these icons will have long-since lost any significance for you. If you moved to Wellington to come to University, the Capital probably seemed large and unwieldy when you first got here, but by now you’ve realised it’s pretty much just a harbour, a couple of hills, and three main roads.

We’ve got a pretty bad habit of not paying attention to our surroundings. The hustle and bustle of people walking around, the never-ending construction in the Hub—we want an escape, to create our own little bubble. Whether it’s using our smartphones for lols, to engage with love interests (Snapchat), or find new ones (Tinder), most of us are tuning out from the world around us on a regular basis.

We know our cosy little capital is there, but we don’t really pay much attention to it. Life goes on around us; things continue to happen without us. Then we get a bunch of earthquakes and suddenly we notice the glass-lined high-rises; the yellow stickers on the low-rises; the reclaimed land that much of the CBD is built on, and the ornate but precarious plasterwork on our historic buildings.

If we’ve learnt anything about this city in the past few months, it’s that Wellington certainly has it faults (heh). It’s impossible to take two steps outside without your skirt blowing up in the wind, and walking down Cuba St without running into that dickhead you hated in Primary School is basically impossible… BUT, in which other capital city can you meet someone new and have at least five different friends in common; drinking problems are more caffeine- than alcohol-related, and where else in the world can you read Salient! (Go on, indulge us.)

So in this issue, we’ve taken some time out to appreciate our home (at least for a couple of years—until we can graduate and get a better job in Australia): Wellington. Because—while it might not be perfect—you sure as hell can’t beat it on a good day.

Molly & Stella

P.S. Thanks to Wellington icon and server of fine brews, The Hunter Lounge. Cheers for the beers. Who said we had integrity?

Molly McCarthy and Stella Blake-Kelly are Salient Co-Editors for 2013, AKA Salient Babes.

1