Engagement Vice-President

Now it’s nearly October, I thought I’d look up the definition of Engagement. The internet told me it means “involving people in stuff”. This pretty much sums up the vagueness of a role which has taken on a big task—turning post–Pyjama Party traumatic stress VUWSA (if you haven’t heard this story… well, it was bad) into an Association that you want to be a part of. I’m not entirely sure how to do this, but I continue to give it a go with the Exec. And, looking at this year, I’ve picked out some of my own definitions of ‘engagement’ to tell you of this role’s beginnings:

• Bouncing around in bear suits during O-Week, and seeing students go from coolly indifferent to gushing little kids.

• Posting something for the VUWSA Facebook page and getting more than 15 likes. Mate.

• Starting up a VUWSA volunteer network and spending an afternoon making up clothes parcels for kids in low-decile schools.

• Having over 200 people sign up to the Faculty Games.

• Helping students hold our local leaders to account about issues that are important to our community, at the Mayoral Debate.

• Getting 80 international students together and learning that they’re unsure who to turn to for a sense of community… and forming a Rep Group to help.

• Realising VUWSA is not yet cool enough to pull off parties at Hope Bros. That is a weird sentence.

As you can see, we still have a long way to go! At VUWSA, we’re a passionate bunch of humans with questionable social skills. It’s a highly political organisation, because we want to lobby for the issues that matter to students. I don’t think that should change. But one day, I like to think that in between advocacy, free flu shots and campaigns, you’ll want to come to us with your ideas, we’ll help clubs and rep groups to flourish, and we’ll even throw good parties. With Beyoncé and Obama. Oh man, it’s gonna be loose.

1