Landslide Victory in VUWSA By-election

It’s the end of the road for by-election enthusiasts, with results in from what was the second by-election in as many weeks held before mid-trimester break.

Former Wellbeing and Sustainability Officer Rick Zwaan and fresh face Rāwinia Thompson were elected to Executive positions in the last week before mid-trimester break, becoming Vice-President (Welfare) and Education Officer, respectively. The two will hold their positions for the remainder of 2013.

Zwaan beat Arthur Bird 748 votes to 160, with Thompson, a first-year Law, Politics and Policy student, beating Ravitesh Ratnam 548 votes to 368.

Zwaan’s promotion to Vice-President (Welfare) means the role of Wellbeing and Sustainability Officer is now left unfilled. The VUWSA Executive will jointly cover the duties of the Wellbeing and Sustainability Officer for the remainder of the year.

As previously reported in Salient, a by-election was held after the resignations of Vice-President (Welfare) Simon Tapp and Education Officer Gemma Swan. Tapp left to take up a parliamentary position with the Green Party, while Swan struggled with the workload.

Included in the by-election was an election for the second student representative on Publications Committee, the body which oversees Salient. Law and Political Science student John Stewart was elected to the position, beating out Zwaan 592 votes to 318.

Ollie Neas, the other student representative, was the sole candidate for the two Publications Committee positions at the VUWSA elections last year, meaning one position was left unfilled.

Total voter turnout was approximately six per cent.

Nominations for candidates wishing to stand for the 2014 Executive are now open, and will stay open until Thursday 19 September. Voting will be held from 26 September to 2 October.

1