Students Get Paid Out

The bacon being brought home from those with Student Job Search (SJS) placements is only getting juicier, recent figures show.

The most recent figures released by SJS show that Victoria University students are earning a third more money than they were at this time last year. Compared to this time in 2012, total earnings through SJS have risen by 27 per cent, while earnings per job showed 30-per-cent growth.

Students are also working longer, with the number of weeks worked also rising by 30 per cent on the same time last year despite enrolments dropping by seven per cent.

Salient spoke to second-year Commerce and Law student Kelsey Pepper, who secured a regular weekly position through SJS. The job was secured “easily”, and provides her with a helpful weekly profit, paying $15 per hour. Pepper says the money helps pay “day-to-day” expenses, and that she would not be employed were it not for the service that SJS provided.

2561 students have been placed in employment by the service so far this year, about the same as last year. The most recent figures reinforce the findings from earlier this year; that there are fewer students finding jobs through SJS, but these jobs are generating a higher profit.

Total earnings have increased to $6,964,920 for the year to date, while the average earning per placement has been relatively stable at $2720. In June, Salient reported students had earned a combined $5,502,735 between the months of January and June, while the average earnings per placement were $2785.

Students looking for work can find SJS at sjs.co.nz, or contact them on 0800 757 562.

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan