The Sweet Scoop

I’m never quite sure what I think about brownies. Theoretically I love them, of course. Squidgy, super-chocolatey, soft. They’re more cake-like than any biscuit, and more biscuit-like than any cake. Pretty much the perfect baked good, am I right?

But then, brownies so often disappoint. They don’t have enough chocolate in them, or they’re too cake-like, or—worst of all—they are far too dry. And I’m not only talking ‘bake-sale where you should have known better’ kind of brownies. Even professional recipes from highly respected cooks sometimes just turn out terribly. I’ve got an Alison Holst 20 Minute Desserts cookbook, which features a photo of what must be the worst-looking brownie I’ve ever seen. Even my little brother’s brownies look tastier than that, and he puts Twisties in his.

So, when I say these are excellent brownies, you know I really mean it. After photographing them, I walked around my living room, trying to eat them while also mumbling incoherently “these are really good” at the same time. They’re rich and delicious, with great texture contrast from the peanuts. Also, chocolate and peanut is just the best combination ever (sorry allergic people). Using roasted salted peanuts makes it even better.

These are also very simple to make. Rather than expend time/make more mess by melting chocolate, these use lots of cocoa powder to achieve the rich chocolate taste. You soften butter, mix everything else in, and then bake. As easy as that. The main trick is to watch the brownies carefully, as they just aren’t the same when overcooked. You want to take them out of the oven when they are still slightly underdone. One final word of warning: the large amount of peanuts in these makes them quite crumbly. A napkin or a plate is highly recommended. These are lovely on their own, but for total amazingness, serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

Peanut Brownies

– 125 g butter

– 1 cup brown sugar

– ¾ cup cocoa powder

– 2 eggs

– ½ cup white flour

– 1 teaspoon baking powder

– 1 cup roasted salted peanuts

– ⅓–½ cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Soften the butter, then cream/mix with the sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the cocoa powder, then the eggs. Add the flour and baking powder, and beat until smooth and glossy. Stir in the peanuts and chocolate chips, then pour into a greased tin. Bake until almost cooked (about 20–25 minutes). Leave for a few minutes to cool and harden before cutting.