Victoria Celebrates Uni-diversity

People came from all around the world for VUWSA’s International Week, which took place last week.

The week began with the launch of VUWSA’s International Rep Group on Monday. The group will organise events, provide peer support and act as a voice for international students at Victoria University. Around 50 people attended the event, deciding to elect an executive in the next few weeks.

“[VUWSA is] really excited to be involved in creating a group that seeks to be an independent voice for international students, especially since they are an often vulnerable population at Victoria University,” said Clubs and Activities Officer Ramon Quitales.

A Facebook group, ‘International students at Victoria University of Wellington’, has been established for those who wish to attend future meetings.

A number of events were held throughout the week, with ‘The Amazing Race’ taking place in the Hub on Tuesday. It was facilitated by AISEC, a global exchange organisation for students. Participants had to complete a challenge at each stage of a four-stage circuit. The challenges included having a passport photo taken in a novelty hat and a geography quiz. Students seemed to enjoy the event, and those who took part are now in the draw to win a bus trip around the South Island, a prize valued at $800.

“It’s great to be able to get out and experience people from all over the place all connected through studying here. I’ve had a really good week so far,” said one student spoken to by Salient.

Wednesday’s event, the International Food Festival, was held in the Tim Beaglehole Courtyard.

Contrary to students’ expectations, there were limited stalls available at the event. However, the stalls present were of a high quality and included Vietnamese and South American cuisine, cupcakes and jewellery. While the event sparked the interest of many, students suggested it would benefit from a higher number of stallholders in the future.

Over 1500 international students are studying at Victoria in 2013, who pay around $25,000 a year for tuition.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties