A President Precedent

It’s far from “oh bummer” for a Victoria student, who will meet President Obama as part of an international conference.

Third-year Commerce student Vincent Wong is one of five young New Zealanders selected for a Global Entrepreneurship Summit hosted by the Malaysian government in Kuala Lumpur from 8–11 October.

President Obama initiated the summit in 2009 as a global platform to empower entrepreneurs with the skills and resources ”necessary to compete and thrive in the 21st century”.

Wong will also attend the inaugural Global Startup Youth competition, which is a three-day event aimed at turning the ideas of the world’s best young entrepreneurs into high-growth ventures that address real-world problems.

The 500 youth participants will be divided into groups of four, with a ‘hustler’, coder, domain expert, and leader in each group. They will come up with a venture that will positively impact health, education, the environment or women leadership.

Global experts in innovation, designers, startup leaders and leading grassroots entrepreneurs will mentor the participants. The best ventures will showcase their prototype to world leaders.

Wong is excited to return to his home country for the event, and to work with like-minded youths from 90 nations, including students, young doctors and other young professionals on “ventures, which could really make a difference in the world”.

“I’m looking forward to the trip. It will be great to put Victoria in the spotlight, and meet President Obama of course. I encourage other students to apply next year.”

Additional information about the event can be found on the Global Startup Youth website, and on the Kiwi Entrepreneurs Malaysia Trip Facebook page.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos