Another One Bites the Dust

Massey University has relieved the embattled Extramural Students’ Society (EXMSS) of its duties following concerns student services were not being delivered effectively.

Massey University sent an email to all students on Monday 7 October, informing them that the University would be taking over a number of responsibilities from EXMSS. The University—which funds EXMSS through contract agreements—stated it wanted students “to have uninterrupted access” to EXMSS services, particularly ahead of exams.

“From today Massey University will deliver the services it previously funded EXMSS to deliver to distance (extramural) students. These include advocacy services and administration of hardship grants,” the email read.

It is as yet unclear if, or when, Massey University will return service-provision contracts to student-run organisations.

The University had found discrepancies in EXMSS’ monthly progress reports, with Massey University Assistant Vice-Chancellor Stuart Morris stating last week that the University was “clearly aware” of problems with EXMSS.

“We want to ensure smooth provision of services for students is maintained and we’re doing all we can in relation to that, and we are taking action to make sure that occurs,” said Morris.

Each society had to provide the University with monthly reports on the services they provided and what they were delivering, and these were “monitored closely”, he said.

“If we are not satisfied with information provided, we seek more information, and if we’re not satisfied we won’t pay them.”

Massey University did not elaborate on what the specific issues with service provision to students were.

As previously reported in Salient, EXMSS President Jeannette Chapman has come under fire after it was revealed she earns more than $50,000 per annum for her part-time position. Her salary was approved after she rejigged the make-up of the Executive by co-opting her friends into positions. A recent annual general meeting failed to reach quorum, and a letter signed by 28 EXMSS members calling for a vote of no confidence was rejected. Chapman claims the letter was anonymous, unsigned, and was void due to it lacking the appropriate authority.

“We shall not be diverting from the rules of our registered society, nor shall anyone not part of our executive dictate, bully or demand of us to move outside of these terms,” said Chapman, who has repeatedly denied any claims of wrongdoing throughout the year.

EXMSS will hold a special general meeting on 19 October, where a vote of no confidence in Ms Chapman may be held.