October 14, 2013 | by  | in Opinion |

Editorial – Salient 2013

“Send out, Salient, the swift satiric point,
to smart the sluggard mind awake,
while freedom anywhere in bonds is pent
no compromise with falseness make.
Those freed today tomorrow forth must leap
Some further outpost there to take and keep.”
Salient, 1938

And so, eight months, 25 issues, and 20 crates of Red Bull later, we’re here: the final issue of Salient for 2013.

It’s our 25th Friday morning in the Salient office; our tireless volunteers have long since gone home; the pages of this magazine have been meticulously checked, and in about 20 minutes we’ll wake up our designer, Laura, who has fallen asleep on the couch waiting for us to finish.

76 years ago, when the magazine first went to print, its editors had some pretty ambitious ideas for just what Salient should be, and what Salient should do. In 2013, it is clear that what is required to “smart the sluggard mind awake” has changed a lot since 1938. This year we have printed features on dating apps Tinder and Grindr, female masturbation, and interviewed a student who is a stripper, and another who has been to prison. It is hard to imagine any of these topics fitting into the Salients of yesteryear, whose articles were geared more towards campus sports and the lead up to World War II.

But despite all of these changes, the role of student media remains the same: to function as an organ of the opinion of you, the students. And to this end we hope we’ve succeeded, at least in some way, over the course of the year. (If you’ve bitched about us on Overheard@Vic, we’ve still won.)

If there’s one thing that hasn’t changed over the magazine’s history, it is the countless hours of effort that year after year, students put into Salient. Though we’re never ones to pick a favourite child, us Salient Mums have been very thankful to have designer Laura sticking around with us as we made her stay up later every week, despite promising every Friday that next week we’d be better. Laura, thank you for all the lols, and for ensuring that Salient filled its weekly cat quota. We’re sorry we couldn’t get you into the VUWSA Presidential suite, or manage to finish our final editorial before the sun rose.

Special mention must also go to big guy on campus Chris, who, despite being brand new to the news business and breaking his wrist halfway through the year, still managed to score some great scoops and polish off eight pages of news every week before the rest of us had even finished dinner. We don’t know how you do it.

Another thanks to Henry and Patrick, our feature writers. You were already fantastic when we hired you, but you’re even better now. We’re just chuffed.

To Philip, our delightful Arts Editor, you have worked your classic McSweeney charm on the Arts section this year, and Salient has been all the richer for it.

Finally, to Nick, our very loyal sub-editor. Sori 4 al of oUrr b4d gramma and speling.

Thanks to all those who contributed in any way, shape or form to Salient this year—whether you were paid and underappreciated, or unpaid and underappreciated, let us just say, for the record: we appreciate you more than you could know. We’ve said it before, and we’ll say it again: we could not have done this without you.

And if you picked up Salient and loved it every week; despised Salient but read it occasionally, or just took copies home to your flat to burn during winter, whether you intended to or not, you were a part of something within the Victoria University community that took place outside of a lecture theatre. Wasn’t that nice? You should try it more often.

And just like that, faster than we ever thought possible, our time as Salient Co-Editors has drawn to a close. To our successors Cam Price and Duncan McLachlan: we wish you all the very best; to our friends and family: you can look forward to seeing a whole lot more of us from now on (sorry!), and to the rest of you: see you in the StudyLink queue next year.

Love, forever and always,

Molly & SBK

Molly McCarthy and Stella Blake-Kelly are Salient Co-Editors for 2013, AKA Salient Babes.