Faculty Games “Mean, Eh”

Victoria University faculties battled against each other last week in VUWSA’s inaugural Faculty Games, with Science coming out on top.

Over 200 students signed up to be a part of the Games, in 21 different teams. Different faculties faced off on Boyd-Wilson Field and in the Rec Centre, competing against each other at basketball, touch, netball and seven-a-side soccer. As well as sports, the Games also featured egg and spoon races, music and food courtesy of VUWSA.

Science, who won basketball but no other sports, won the overall prize from their performances across all sports. Science won basketball, however were beaten in the other categories. An Architecture and Design team won in seven-a-side soccer, a Humanities team took out netball, and touch was won by Commerce. Competitors could enter as individuals or as a team.

The Faculty Games were the first such event to be organised by VUWSA, and were met with significant turnout and high involvement from students. Organiser of the Faculty Games, VUWSA Vice-President Mica Moore, said she was “really pleased” with the event.

“Everyone got stuck in even though the teams were made up of students who’d never met each other before.

“The players gave the event a great atmosphere, and we were stoked to bring students together from completely different areas of academia, across all four campuses,” said Moore.

Moore hoped the event would have a future, but that becoming an increasingly anticipated annual event would require adequate resourcing and capacity, which would have to be allowed for by future funding for VUWSA from the University.

“I had heaps of ideas about the Faculty Games that we didn’t get the opportunity to use this time around … I’d love for spectators to get involved much more, [for] a big opening ceremony, food vendors and more sponsorship, along with smaller games and competitions which contribute to the Faculties’ scores,” said Moore, adding she hopes for more female participation and disability-friendly sports in future.

Salient spoke to students who took part in the event, with feedback unanimously positive.

“It’s mean, eh, being able to get out at Uni and have a run around,” said one student, adding they would “definitely” be back again next year if the event was run.

1