Look Where You’re Going

A campus path which has frequently been the subject of student complaints has finally been improved by the addition of LED lights along the length of the path and streetlights.

As previously reported in Salient, the walkway, which goes between Boyd Wilson Field and The Terrace, is avoided by students due to safety concerns, and has been the site of at least one assault this year.

LED lights have been fitted all the way down the path, as well as in the Mount St cemetery and the bush down to Salamanca Rd. The improvements have been made due to cooperation between VUWSA, the Wellington City Council, the University, and Te Aro School.

Outgoing VUWSA President Rory McCourt voiced his concerns about the safety of the path to Salient earlier in the year, saying it was a “perfect target” for potential attackers. He has now said he is proud that the path has been made safer.

“Many Presidents—and Salient editors!—have talked about how unsafe the lack of lighting is around campus for over a decade … I think our great relationship with retiring councillor Stephanie Cook helped tremendously,” said McCourt.

One student spoken to by Salient was pleased with the changes, stating the installations had “really lightened up [her] late-night walks home from the library.”

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos