Still Better Than Re-O Week

The building blocks of student representation were given more than just pizza by VUWSA at an awards ceremony last week.

Last Tuesday, Class Representatives, Faculty Delegates, and students who contribute significantly to life at Victoria were acknowledged at the annual Student Representative Celebration.

An outstanding Class Representative from each faculty was awarded $100 to spend at VicBooks or Gordon Harris, with Special Awards and $50 Hunter Lounge/VicBooks vouchers awarded to students who have done a lot for others at Victoria.

VUWSA Vice-President (Academic) Sonya Clark said it was “important and exciting” to honour Class Representatives, who often work behind the scenes and without reward in the service of their classmates.

“Being a Class Rep is an exciting and challenging role. Class Reps help get a strong, authentic student voice on the issues that matter. They are vital for building a sense of community, especially in large undergraduate classes.

“We are very proud of the many Class Reps who organise study sessions and social events to support their classmates,” said Clark.

Victoria had 1373 Class Reps in 2013, and 94 per cent of classes had them this trimester—the highest rate in the country.

Special Award Winners:

Ani Eparaima: A mature student in Māori Studies who has mentored and supported significant number of students in the Tohu Māoritanga programme, as well as being involved with NT and Te Pūtahi Atawhai.

Mark Berry: A deaf student who has gone above and beyond to support students learning NZ Sign Language. Mark also recently won a Wellington Community Trust Young Community Leaders Award.

Matt Woolley: Vice-President of VicCom, organised partnership with the NZICA to bring funded study groups to over 400 students.

Erikka Helliwell and Lucy Croft: Both have reignited Can Do, are working with Disability Services on more inclusive assessment practices, and contributed in a major way to the Student Representation and Consultation review.

Roman Klapaukh: A PhD student in Engineering and Computer Science who organises out-of-class programming experience and help for undergraduate and school students.

Class Rep Award winners:

Elvina Quatermain (Architecture and Design)

Fenyi Manning (Science)

Amanda Eggers (Commerce)

Rebekah Giesbers (Education)

Kay Kissick (Humanities and Social Sciences)