October 14, 2013 | by  | in Arts Theatre |

Theatre: Year in Review

What was great:

New Zealand International Comedy Festival. Oh dear lord, the amount of funny people in this city was too much too for my (non-existent) abs to handle. Guy Williams, Steve Wrigley, Jeremy Corbett, and some class international acts from which sprung the glorious Chris Martin (not the one from Coldplay). This talented young Brit had me laughing for a full 60 minutes and wanting to date him afterwards. YouTube him (perfect procrastination).

The amount of improvisation going on in this city! There’s something for everyone: PlayShop late on Fridays, The Improvisors at Circa if you want to take your mum, and The Young and the WITless returned for a perfect flat outing. Well done teams.

Any of you who took my advice and actually went to the opera… you’re my new favourite people.

From a theatrical perspective, the ousting of Julia Gillard, the reinstatement of Kevin Rudd, and his subsequent loss to Tony Abbott was a tragedy that was so disastrous it could only be reality.

What was meh:

Rose Matafeo at Comedy Fest. I blame myself for having too high expectations. Is it my fault for expecting hilarity from the poster girl for young female Kiwi comedians (and probiotic yoghurt)?

A lot of the Vic Uni productions this year. I’m not naming names or blaming blames, but there was not enough guidance and not enough assertiveness over the quality of the finished products this year.

Oh and WOW. Once in a lifetime is enough. It’s like the America’s Cup for theatre: it costs heaps, has a few diehard fans, and everyone else just doesn’t give a rat’s.

What we wish we’d seen:

Gryphon Theatre put on a production of Pride and Prejudice, which I was too afraid to see, being an Austen purist. But, apparently, Mr Darcy got drenched, like in the famous pond scene!

Sydney Bridge Upside Down was apparently a powerful, beautiful and moving story touted as a “benchmark of the possibilities of artistic cross pollination” by The Dom Post.

What we’re hanging out for:

National Theatre Live is bringing a recording of Othello to cinemas near you. With Forest Whitaker! It’s going to be spine-chillingly delicious Shakespeare, so go, I implore you!

Circa is doing Dickens’ A Christmas Carol directed by the great Ray Henwood, just before (oddly enough) Christmas.

JUST GO AND SEE SOMETHING AT BATS. Please. They’ve really got something to cater for all sorts of tastes.

1