Veni, Vidi, VC

The University has announced the appointment of the next Vice-Chancellor, and has chosen a candidate with a strong history in research and commercial ventures.

Last Wednesday, Victoria announced Professor Grant Guilford as the successful candidate to succeed current Vice-Chancellor Pat Walsh, who said in February he would not stand for a third four-year term. Professor Guilford is currently Dean of Science and Chairman of the Food and Health Programme at the University of Auckland. He has previously run start-up businesses and commercialisation companies, in addition to a Crown Research Institute, and a number of scientific research and advisory boards, graduate schools, research centres, and academic institutes and programmes.

“Victoria University is a capital-city university of global standing, with a clear commitment to excellence in research, teaching and public service, and a well-deserved reputation for leading thinking on major issues,” said Professor Guilford.

“It will be a privilege to contribute to Victoria’s continued national and international success.”

The selection process for a new Vice-Chancellor ran throughout the year, and concluded with the final interview held approximately a fortnight ago. Five candidates both from within the University and overseas were interviewed extensively by a panel of management, staff and students.

Chancellor Ian McKinnon said Professor Guilford would bring “a wealth of leadership experience” to Victoria, describing him as an “outstanding academic” who has had a “highly successful career in research and teaching.”

“The Council of Victoria University believes his experience, knowledge, and leadership style are the right mix to continue Victoria’s proud tradition of an institution of excellent academic standing with a world-class reputation,” said McKinnon.

VUWSA President Rory McCourt welcomed the appointment, saying he had no doubts that Professor Guilford could achieve the best for students and for the University.

“Professor Guilford brings a vibrant vision for Victoria in realising our potential as a leading capital-city university, where students and staff work on the big issues facing New Zealand and the world.

“His challenge will be to craft a unique strategy at Victoria with our many stakeholders, communicate a higher purpose for a university worn down by years of Government underfunding, and put a check on the short-term managerialism that is holding students and staff back,” said McCourt.

Professor Guilford’s term will begin on 1 March 2014.