February 24, 2014 | by  | in Arts Theatre |

7 Things You’ve Heard of and Kind of Want to Do in Theatre in 2014

Wellington has a vibrant theatre scene. So turning up in O-Week and trying to figure out where you’re going to put your talent can be hard. I’ve made a list of buzzwords you have probably heard of and then tried to explain briefly what they mean and how you can take part in them. Here goes:

1. Fringe:

Go see some Fringe Festival shows. Right now. They’ll inspire you, bewilder you, and give you something to talk about with your trendy new Theatre friends and tutors. Plus, heaps of them are koha. Make one yourself next year. The festival runs from 7 February to 2 March.

www.fringe.co.nz

2. At Vic:

If the 10% performance requirement in THEA101 isn’t enough to satiate your passion for performance, then keep your ears pricked for other performance opportunities on campus. 300- and 400-level papers in Writing and Directing are always looking for actors, and this provides really great experience and exposure for blossoming young students. If you’re patient, the 200-level Theatre papers provide some really fantastic show opportunities in acting, tech work, writing, collaboration and devising, so take those.

Hot tip: Keep your eyes on the walls at Fairlie Tce and sign up to all the Theatre-y Facebook groups (including Victoria University Theatre Students’ Association and the broader Wellington Actors’ Group). These spaces will provide you with audition notices within and outside University, show information, and the opportunity to sign up for ushering so you can save those pennies and see shows for free!

3. Improv:

Throw caution to the wind, contact improv troupes like Playshop (playshopnz@gmail.com) and Wellington Improv Troupe (www.twitter.com/WITonline/) and get involved. They’re run by wonderful welcoming people who will happily provide you with audition information.

4. Long Cloud Youth Theatre:

You’ve probably heard of it because someone beautiful and talented you met once at a party is in it. It’s pretty brilliant. Head to www.thetheatre.co.nz/long-cloud-youth-theatre/ for information; hit them up about auditions and such. It costs money but is also super-prestigious and they make really great shows and you will learn all of the ways to craft theatre.

5. Bats:

Affordable theatre in a great spot, brilliant staff, and a decent house Merlot: what more could you want? It’s a hub for students and just generally a great place to hang about and do shows. They’ll call for submissions regularly, so if you’re a budding writer or devisor get amongst by going to www.bats.co.nz and signing up to their mailing list.

6. Young and Hungry:

Go online and register for the Wellington Season taking place 18 July – 2 August at Bats. You could be an actor, designer, stage manager, crew member, publicist, or even a puppeteer, bloody eh! In summary: someone funds a bunch of really talented writers to write things so that people aged 15 to 25 can be in shows and make beautiful theatre and develop as young creative types. It’s a big friendly valuable learning-thing, and brings some of the brightest young sparks together.

www.youngandhungry.org.nz/festival-of-new-theatre/wellington-2014

Auditions and production/crew interviews will be in April. Register ASAP.

7. Shoestring:

You have to make a 10–15 minute show, in a month, with a maximum budget of $20, and then you get together on 22 June at 19 Tory St for a free one-off night of magical theatre as everyone shares what they’ve created. It’s really great. Really. www.thebigidea.co.nz/work/jobs-opportunities/theatre/comedy/129776-take-the-shoestring-theatre-challenge

Register by 19 May.

——

IN SUMMARY:

Go see shows, turn up to auditions even if you’re intimidated, don’t be afraid to tell someone you loved something they did (this is how you will meet people to make shows with in the future), and hunt around the internet (via StarNow, Facebook, The Big Idea etc.) and in theatres for opportunities. BE BRAVE.

1