February 24, 2014 | by  | in Arts Film |

Cinematic Hot Spots Around Wellington

1. Lighthouse Cuba – 29 Wigan St If on any kind of date and in the mood for an extra touch of intimacy, seat yourselves on the boutique couches in this stylish yet relaxed cinema right in the heart of the student hub. The experience it provides you becomes as much a part of the post-film conversation as the film itself.

2. Roxy – 5 Park Rd, Miramar The Roxy is a renovated original suburban cinema with a phenomenal 1920s Art Deco style artfully preserved by Weta Workshop. Being the favourite of many and easily one of the best cinemas in the country, splurging on a taxi to get there if necessary is unquestionably worth it. It is the perfect spot for a complete, escapist and incredibly memorable film experience.

3. Embassy – 10 Kent Tce, Mt Victoria With the largest screen around (hence the premieres) and a newly updated sound system (high-tech Dolby Atmos apparently), this cinema promises you a grand experience, especially with those blockbusters which can only truly be honoured on the big screen.

4. Paramount – 25 Courtenay Place Located on Courtenay Place, with a grungy and faded glamorous feel, this cinema sits outside the mainstream, featuring foreign, independent and arthouse films which are bound to expand your cultural comfort zone.

5. Reading Cinemas – 100 Courtenay Place If there is really only one decent movie on and this is the only cinema with a session at the only convenient time and after researching all other options, including streaming and a cheeky torrent, then maybe consider gracing this tween hangout with your presence.

6. The Film Archive – 84 Taranaki St, Te Aro Immerse yourself in this unique collection showcasing New Zealand’s television and cinema history with screenings and exhibitions running throughout the year. Perfect to explore by yourself when in a pensive mood.

7. AroVideo – 97 Aro St, Aro Valley With the rapid disintegration of the video store’s existence, many a DVD player sits unused and confused. However, this place holds an impressively diverse collection of many films which may not have reached the mainstream big screen. At least go for a nostalgia trip (they rent VHS). Also, with their offer of home delivery, you have no excuse.

——

TOP 5 THINGS TO WATCH OUT FOR:

Her: A Spike Jonze film where Scarlett Johansson proves herself to be as irresistibly seductive as usual (even when you can’t see her face). Part of the soundtrack is ‘The Moon Song’, featuring the equally beautiful voices of Karen O and Ezra Koenig, which you should check out if not yet convinced. Released 27 February.

Blue Is the Warmest Colour: Awarded Best Picture at the Cannes Film Festival in 2013, this film examines the ambiguous nature of sexuality in the context of a modern love story. Embedded within it lies a positive message about the beauty of individual sexual orientation. In cinemas now.

Inside Llewyn Davis: Will be the latest from the Coen brothers, innovatively teasing out Carey Mulligan’s darker side. Released 20 February.

Transcendence: Every year there emerges a sci-fi wannabe epic, inevitably featuring someone like Johnny Depp (not in a Tim Burton for once); taking utopian computer intelligence to a dangerous and even more humane level. Released 24 April.

Nymphomaniac: Featuring an interesting cast with Shia LaBeouf appearing alongside Charlotte Gainsbourg and Uma Thurman, this is already very controversial because it is extremely raunchy. Released 20 March.

100 Courtenay Place