February 24, 2014 | by  | in News |

Joint O-Week Not as Dank as It Sounds

The lacklustre O-Weeks Victoria students have endured for the past few years may be a thing of the past, with VUWSA joining forces with MAWSA, the Massey @ Wellington Student’s Association, to run O-Week in 2014.

Since the introduction of Voluntary Student Membership in 2011, VUWSA’s O-Weeks have come under criticism for not providing the same quality of entertainment as previous years. 2013’s O-Week featured Home Brew, a Neon Toga Party, a Comedy Spectacular and a Hypnotist night.

2014’s O-Week will be run jointly by VUWSA and MAWSA. VUWSA President Sonya Clark said that the decision to work with MAWSA was made in order to provide the best possible O-Week for students.

“Last year, Orientation was limited to a couple of events at The Hunter Lounge – students weren’t happy with the programme and neither were we,” she said.

This year’s O-Week will feature 60 acts including Baauer, Gold Panda, Baths and David Dallas. Events are being run in The Hunter Lounge at Victoria University, onsite at Massey and in venues around the central city.

Clark could not say how much VUWSA had contributed financially towards running this O-Week, as “specific financials are commercially sensitive in the contract environment”, but did say that VUWSA’s overall Orientation budget is similar to the past two years of O-Weeks held under VSM.

“A key goal for VUWSA going into Orientation 2014 was to create a more scalable and vibrant orientation programme for our students, whilst connecting Orientation to the city.  In order to achieve this, we combined with MAWSA to connect to a wider range of suppliers and performers, thus ensuring that we are making the most of the limited funding we receive from VUW,” she said.

VUWSA is currently looking to negotiate a two-year agreement with the University which would provide O-Week funding, among other things. Clark believes that this may improve the ability of VUWSA to plan for O-Week further in advance.