February 24, 2014 | by  | in News |

New Hire, Lower Wait Times

Students should be able to see counsellors more quickly, with a new intake counsellor joining the counselling team at Victoria.

In 2013, Salient reported on the long waiting times some students were encountering when seeking counselling appointments through the University. Students this year have already reported wait times of up to three weeks to get an appointment.

In response, VUWSA agreed to a two per cent raise in the Student Services Levy, with the money raised being earmarked for improving the counselling service on offer.

Gerard Hoffman, Manager of Counselling Services at the University, is looking to introduce an intake counsellor, based on international counselling models. An intake counsellor will be able to see students “within a few days” for an appointment in order to assess the needs of the student looking for counselling.

“My concern is that students who need help need to talk to a skilled person, need to talk to someone quickly… Our concern is that people will go away feeling discouraged. Coming to counselling is a big step for many people.”

The intake counsellor has not yet been appointed. Salient will publish a weekly column written by the Counselling Service on mental health.

1. Turkish Red Lentil Soup
  2. Dragon Friends
  3. NZ Music Month
  4. Dear White People
  5. You’re Allowed to Watch Shit Films
  6. Flint Town: Season 1
  7. Sometimes It’s Too Cold to Go Outside
  8. Some Spicy AF Hot Takes
  10. Love Isn’t Real, Because You Aren’t Hard Enough